Vegan Cauliflower "Mac' n Cheese" Casserole with mixed greens
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 40 minutes / Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Makes 2 servings
Nutrition Corner: Nutritional Yeast
Nutritional yeast can be found in the bulk section of health food stores, and on the shelf. Nutritional yeast has a unique cheese-like flavor, making it a wonderful addition to sauces. Nutritional yeast is loaded with B-vitamins, so it is a good option for anyone who does not consume a lot of meat.
- Mac 'n cheese:
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets (2-3 cups)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or all day, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic, depending on your preference, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced (other half used on salad)
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 handfuls spinach
- Small pinch smoked paprika (optional)
- Mixed Green:
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- juice of ½ a lemon, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- pinch each flaky sea salt, such as Maldon, and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water (enough to blanch the cauliflower in) to a boil over medium -high heat. Add florets and blanch for 2-3 minutes (they should still be semi-firm). Strain, cool, and place in a baking dish. Create a single layer of spinach on top of the cauliflower.
- Add red bell pepper pieces to the bottom of your food processor. Top with cashews, nutritional yeast, vinegar, garlic, sea salt, and pepper flakes, if using. Process until creamy, adding water slowly to facilitate blending. The consistency should be thick, but slightly runny.
- Pour sauce over spinach and cauliflower and mix to just coat everything.
- Top with a dusting of paprika, if using.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until bubbling and starting to brown.
- Toss together mixed greens, scallion, and red pepper. Squeeze lemon juice over top, and drizzle on olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Enjoy half of the casserole and salad per person.