Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 45 minutes / Total Time: 1 hr. 15 minutes
Makes 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 4 parsnips, diced
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley, divided
- 1 15-ounce can dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped (feel free to use the sliced-up stems; add them with the carrots and other vegetables)
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium. Add carrots and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) plus ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 15 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and next 6 ingredients (through basil) plus ¼ cup parsley, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, add beans, kale, and remaining salt and pepper, and cook for 30 minutes, adding more water for desired consistency, if necessary.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve 2 cups soup per person for dinner.
- Let remaining soup cool for half an hour and then then store in airtight containers for lunches on days 1, 3, and 5 next week. Refrigerate until needed. Soup can also be frozen.