Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 40 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme OR Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, trimmed, and thinly sliced, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 15 oz. can white beans, such as navy or cannellini, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot or saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion, carrot, celery, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, bay leaf, and kale stems. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 12-15 minutes.
- Add kale leaves, tomatoes, broth, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and add the beans. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, black pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook three minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Package soup into 6 individual airtight containers to be taken for lunch on Days 1, 3, and 5.