Vegetable Soup with Roasted Garlic
Active Time: 35 minutes / Cook Time: 30 minutes / Total Time: 45-50 minutes
Makes 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard, stems thinly sliced and leaves roughly chopped
- 2 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ bulb roasted garlic*, squeezed from skins and mashed
- 1 (28 oz.) can whole tomatoes
- ½ head large green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (about 4-5 cups)
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1 (15 oz.) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, melt the ghee over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and Swiss Chard stems and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften, 7-8 minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning and mashed roasted garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened, another 5-6 minutes.
- Using kitchen scissors, chop the whole tomatoes right in the can. Add tomatoes, cabbage, broth, and water to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans, chickpeas, and Swiss Chard leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are fully wilted and beans are heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings (Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper) to your preference.
- Serve 2 cups of soup per person for dinner.
- Divide remaining soup into 6 airtight containers and refrigerate until needed for lunches during Week 4.
*To roast garlic: Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut the top ¼” off of the garlic bulb, barely exposing each of the garlic cloves within their skins. Place on a square of foil, drizzle with coconut oil, wrap tightly, and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until garlic is soft.