Veggie Chili with Tex-Mex Slaw
Active Time: 40 minutes / Cook Time: 30 minutes / Total Time: 45-50 minutes
Serves 2, with leftovers for lunch
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped (use the rest of the onion from pizza night)
- 2 large bell peppers, color(s) of your choice, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 jalapeño OR Fresno chili, seeded (optional) and diced 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 cups corn kernels, from about 2 large ears of corn
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped into 1/2” pieces
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 heaping teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1-2 cups vegetable broth, depending on desired consistency
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- juice of 1 lime, plus more for serving
- 1/4 of a head of a very small green cabbage*, cored and sliced thinly (preferred) or shredded in food processor
- 1/2 kohlrabi bulb, peeled and shredded in food processor or with large holes of a box grater
- 1 large carrot, shredded in food processor or with large holes of a box grater
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/2 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell peppers, and jalapeno and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables start to soften, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add corn, zucchini, pinto beans, tomatoes, 2 teaspoons chili powder, cumin, and 3/4 teaspoon salt to pan. Stir well to combine. Add vegetable broth and stir again. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the chili simmers, make the slaw: place pepitas in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes or until pepitas start to brown. Add 1/2 tablespoon oil, stirring constantly to melt and coat pepitas. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and a hefty pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Add cabbage, kohlrabi, carrot, and scallions to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, remaining salt, and olive oil. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Add cilantro and pepitas and gently toss.
- Serve 1/4 each of the slaw and chili topped with cheese and additional lime juice per person for dinner. Package remainder in airtight containers for lunch tomorrow.
*If your farmers’ market has Caraflex cabbage—a small cabbage with a conical shape—a small one should be perfect for today and tomorrow.