Active Time: 15 minutes / Cook Time: 8-10 minutes / Total Time: 23-25 minutes
Makes 6 snack servings, 3 rolls, 18 pieces
- Heaping ½ cup rice (sushi, jasmine, or brown rice), soaked overnight* if possible, drained and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 nori sheets
- 12 long thin sticks of cucumber (cut from 1 cucumber)
- 12 long thin sticks of carrot (cut from 1 carrot)
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Tamari, wasabi, pickled ginger, to serve (optional but recommended)
- Bring rice, salt, and just shy of 1 cup water to a boil in a small pot. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until water is absorbed, 8-10 minutes.
- Place rice in a strainer and rinse with cold water to cool down.
- Place 1 nori sheet on a work surface. Place a small bowl of warm water next to you. Dip your fingers in the warm water and very lightly rub the nori sheet so that is becomes just slightly coated with water.
- Use a spoon to spread 3 tablespoons of rice as evenly as possible across and down the nori sheet (refer to the picture if needed).
- Layer cucumber and carrot sticks horizontally about 2 inches from the bottom of the nori sheet (refer to the picture if needed).
- Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds.
- Use your fingers to gently roll the bottom of the nori sheet up and over the veggies. Continue rolling, wetting fingers as needed. Roll as tightly as possible.
- Seal the roll using additional water.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut roll into 6 pieces.
- Transfer to an airtight container until needed.
- To serve, enjoy 3 pieces per person as a snack, dipped in tamari and topped with wasabi and pickled ginger according to your preference.
*Soak rice in 1 cup warm water in a bowl overnight