Very Berry Smoothie Bowl
Active Time: 10 minutes
Makes 2 servings
Nutrition Corner: Eating slower in order to improve digestion
Many of us eat on the go, eat while driving, and eat in 2 minutes flat if that is all the time we have available. Unfortunately, no matter how healthy we eat, if our body is not digesting properly, we fail to benefit from these healthy food choices. In order to digest properly, we must slow down, and only eat when we are calm, rather than stressed. This smoothie bowl allows you to sit down and consume your smoothie a little slower than you probably would normally. Practice mindful eating by taking the time to eat breakfast apart from watching TV, talking on the phone, or rushing to get to work.
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen strawberries (5 large)
- 1 cup unsweetened full-fat canned coconut milk (use the cream on top)
- ½-1 cup water
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Dash fine sea salt
- 2-4 drops stevia, to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Toppings (per serving): 1 tablespoon coconut flakes, 1 teaspoon cacao nibs, and 1 tablespoon dry roasted cashews
- Place all ingredients except chia seeds into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Add more water only if needed to facilitate blending; try not to thin out this mixture too much. You want it to be a thick smoothie you can eat with a spoon.
- Fold in chia seeds, pour into 2 serving bowls, and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Top with coconut flakes, cacao nibs, and cashews.