Warm Lentil Salad with Arugula
Active Time: 35 minutes / Cook Time: 35-40 minutes / Total Time: 45-50 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ¼ cups brown or French green lentils, soaked overnight if possible*, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrot, from about 1 large
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 4 radishes, diced, divided
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and diced, (peeling optional) divided
- 6 cups arugula
- ½ cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon raw honey
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large saucepan, heat the ghee over medium. Add the onion, celery, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft and the onions are beginning to turn golden brown, 10-15 minutes. If the vegetables are cooking too quickly, add water by the tablespoon as necessary.
- Stir in the garlic and cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Add the lentils, water, ¾ teaspoon salt, bay leaf, and thyme sprigs and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 15-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender (depending on the type of lentils you use, they will cook at different rates; start checking on the early end).
- While lentils cook, add all ingredients for the dressing, except water, to a food processor. Begin to process and add water slowly (up to 1 cup if you prefer a thinner dressing) until smooth and creamy.
- Drain the lentils, discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs, and transfer to a large bowl. Immediately toss with ¼ cup Tahini Caesar Dressing.
- Stir in roasted bell peppers, carrot, mint, parsley, and half each of the radish and cucumber.
- Place 1 ½ cups arugula on each of two plates, and top with ¼ of the lentil mixture. Sprinkle ¼ of remaining radishes and cucumbers over each salad and drizzle each with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Serve.
- Package remaining salad and dressing (about 1 tablespoon per person) in airtight containers for lunches tomorrow. This salad is good cold, at room temperature, and slightly warmed.
- Leftover dressing can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.
*Soak lentils in 3 cups warm water in a bowl overnight