Watercress Ginger Smoothie
Active Time: 10 minutes
Makes 2 servings
Nutrition Corner: Watercress
Watercress is a cruciferous vegetable related to kale. It has a unique peppery taste and is great used in sandwiches and wraps, salads, and smoothies. Like the other cruciferous vegetables, watercress is packed with nutrition. 1 cup contains 106% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin K (important in the prevention of blood clots), 24% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C (important for wound healing and skin health), and 22% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin A (important for immune function and vision).
- 1-2 inches fresh ginger root, depending on your preference
- About 2 cups watercress, unpacked
- 1 apple, cored
- Juice from ½ lemon, or to taste
- 1 small avocado or ½ large avocado
- ¼ cup basil leaves, lightly packed
- 3 cups cold water
- 2-4 drops stevia, to taste, optional
- Ice, optional
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Add more water if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Transfer to a glass or a mason jar to take to-go.