Wild Mushroom Squash Noodles with Poached Egg
Active Time: 40 minutes / Cook Time: 25-30 minutes / Total Time: 40-45 minutes
Makes 2 servings, plus leftover squash noodles for lunch
- 1 lb. summer squash, spiralized or peeled into wide, thin noodles
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons ghee, plus more if necessary
- 1 lb. mixed wild mushrooms, brushed clean and coarsely chopped or torn
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Zest and juice of a lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- Place squash noodles in a colander in the sink, and toss with ½ teaspoon salt. Let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring a medium sauté pan filled halfway with water to a simmer.
- In four batches, add ½ tablespoon ghee to a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When it foams, add a quarter of the mushrooms and cook until golden on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Return all mushrooms to the pan. If it looks dry, add another ½ tablespoon ghee. Immediately add shallot, rosemary, and garlic and cook, tossing, until the shallot is tender and the mushrooms have begun to soften, about 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add ¼ cup water.
- Very gently wring out the squash noodles and add to the pan with mushroom mixture. Use tongs to toss gently and combine. Turn off heat and stir in lemon juice and zest and freshly ground black pepper. Set cover on askew to let steam escape and keep noodles warm.
- Crack each egg into a small bowl or ramekin. Use a wooden spoon to slowly stir the simmering water and create a vortex in the center of the pan. Gently, and close to the water, add one egg to the vortex. Keep stirring for a few more seconds to help the white coalesce around the yolk. Cook two minutes and with a slotted spoon remove egg to a small plate. Repeat with the second egg.
- Serve 1/4 of the squash noodles per person, topped with a poached egg. Pack the remaining squash noodles according to the Prep and Cook Chart for tomorrow’s lunch.