Yellow Squash & Sweet Pepper Soup
Active Time: 40 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth, depending on desired consistency
- 3 bell peppers, roughly diced
- 2 pounds yellow summer squash, roughly chopped
- Fresh herbs: 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 1 small lemon
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh pepper
- Heat the oil or ghee in a stockpot over medium-low heat. Sauté onions until soft and translucent, about 4-6 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook one minute.
- Add broth, bring to a simmer.
- Add peppers and squash, cook 10 minutes and turn off the heat. Stir in the fresh herbs. Slice lemon in half and use a spoon to scrap juice and flesh into the soup. It’s okay if the seeds fall in too.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer half of the soup (careful! It’s hot!) to a blender, remove the center of the lid, cover with a kitchen towel, and process until smooth. Add salt and pepper and blend again. Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
- Add to a bowl and repeat with the other half of the soup (if using a blender).
- Let cool completely. Store 4 servings in separate containers in the fridge, and 2 servings in separate containers in the freezer for lunch on Days 1, 3, and 7.
- This soup is delicious cold, warm, or at room temperature.